Friday, January 21, 2011

cake book

Hello!

Deciding that I needed to bake a little cake the other day, I pulled down my cook books to peruse photographs and recipes.  I gravitate towards being a baker, not a cooker, and I am fine with that, but I was foiled by the lack of cake recipes in all of my tomes.  Good ol' Betty Crocker had the most cake recipes, and although the BC recipes usually don't fail and are quite hilariously printed next to something absolutely 70's (marshmallow salad), they still don't have what modern cookbooks include- gloriously lit photo-spreads of the food itself.

Do you have a recipe book you would recommend to someone who is in search of a mostly cake, plus some cookie/ random sweets recipes- collection?

I have already started browsing online... I like the look of these:


The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook

The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook


More from Magnolia

Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook

A Homemade Life






 
Baked Explorations
 Has anyone tried these?  What are your recommendations or thoughts?

(PS If you have a few hours of your life and a good cup of coffee in hand, fall into this rabbit hole).

xo
m &

1 comment:

Danica said...

The only book I have /have tried is Martha Stewart's. I haven't tried the cakes out of it b/c they seem so complicated. But I have made cookies and tarts from it and they all came out yummy. I actually use Nigella's book called Feasts and have found her cake recipes easy and delicious. Did you read A Homemade Life and if so did you like it?