Thursday, January 27, 2011

chili

"What's a sexy food... Turkey chili, that's sexy" 
...loosely remembered from Leslie Knope.

Parks and Recreation is back!  I love that Amy Poehler.   And, I love Community.  I mean, Theo 'my dad gave it to me' Huxtable as Shirley's husband and Abed's charting of when to have chocolate on hand...How can a person not? 

Yeay, Thursday night tv.  For a cozy evening in, why not make 'Throw it On In' chili.  Basically, I decided that there are foods one can make that don't really need a recipe, and chili is one of them.  But if you want to know how I made mine, and it's sweet that you do, try this:

Serve with some plain yogurt and shredded cheese, and an Anchor Steam.

Throw it On In Chili:
Heat enough oil to cover bottom of stock pot
Saute 1/2 of large yellow onion (diced)
Brown ground chicken or turkey (1 pound)
Once browned, add 2 large cans of diced tomatoes and a few bay leaves
*Reserve clean cans for making can and string telephone, or recycle
Add diced, chopped or shredded carrots and zucchini (about 5 carrots and 2 zucchini)
Add three cans of rinsed beans (a pantry assortment)
While the veggies cook, season to taste with:
brown sugar, cinnamon, paprika, Worcester sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, tapatio, thyme, red pepper flakes
* This list is respective of amount added, first listed being highest percent of seasonings...

I know.  That last direction would make me an awful cookbook writer. Enjoy your programs!

ox
m & e

6 comments:

Sara B. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
millie & elsie said...

I LOVE IT! well, sara b let me tell you- i agree with you and since you haven't seen the new 'couples' show, i'll tell you that i think its downright scary. there is one male character that should be in an insane asylum and i don't think its funny.
:D weren't abed and troy the cutest in their bee costumes!

lil sis said...

funniest moment? rob lowe staring into mirror. "stop pooping." I was on the floor.

billypaintbrush said...

This recipe sounds delectable. With the keenie, its almost like a ratatouille or tex/mex/frex or something...

or maybe not

Sara B. said...

Hello again! I felt myself compelled to write another comment here after finally watching "Parks and Recreation" last night. Nathan and I were laughing so hard we were worried we'd wake Charlie up! Leslie Knope and Rob Lowe with the flu was INCREDIBLE! That moment with Rob Lowe looking in the mirror saying "stop pooping" was unforgettable!

millie & elsie said...

i know! i have been saying stop . pooping. all week- still!