Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dame Liz

I heard the news this morning on my morning drive.

Elizabeth Taylor was one of those inimitable ladies (and not to mention, an actual dame).  For all of her allure and glamour and romance, when she spoke during interviews, her voice was so demure and lady like, it almost sounded like my grandma speaking softly about having lunch with her friends.  

As a tribute to her excellent work and life, here are a few of my favorite Liz Taylor movies:

If you haven't seen this movie, please do.  It is so lovely.  It has been years since I saw it, so I'll watch it with you again!


I think my mom introduced me to this movie, and I felt very important watching it and knowing who Shelley Winters was, aside from her Pete's Dragon role.

 
Father of the Bride
- because, of course!  Sometimes, I will randomly think about that scene where 1950's type gifts are pouring in.  You know, all the essentials, like silver candlesticks and serving pieces!

and, the mom in this was quite the screen siren, herself!

However, I do like one of her real life wedding dresses the best. The waist especially reminds me of my aunt's, who had such a figure that I couldn't even play dress up in it when I was 10!



I also remember feeling very purposeful and adult having watched The Taming of the Shrew and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, and I remember thinking she must have a real sense of humor to be in The Flintstones.   But, I will end my mini movie retrospective here, as I would prefer to close with two of my many favorite photographs of her:




If I ever had the chance to meet her, I think I may have said ... 'Well done'.

1 comment:

billypaintbrush said...

April 10th on TCM will be 24 hours of Liz


6 a.m. – Lassie Come Home (1943): Roddy McDowall and Edmund Gwenn.
7:30 a.m. – National Velvet (1944) Mickey Rooney, Anne Revere and Angela Lansbury.
10 a.m. – Conspirator (1952): Robert Taylor and Robert Flemyng.
11:30 a.m. – Father of the Bride (1950): Spencer Tracy, Billie Burke, Joan Bennett.
1:15 p.m. – Father’s Little Dividend (1951): Spencer Tracy, Billie Burke, Joan Bennett.
2:45 p.m. – Raintree County (1957): Montgomery Clift, Eva Marie Saint, Lee Marvin, Rod Taylor.
6 p.m. – Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958): Paul Newman and Burl Ives.
8 p.m. – Butterfield 8 (1960): Laurence Harvey and Eddie Fisher.
10 p.m. – Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966): Richard Burton, George Segal.
12:30 a.m. – Giant (1956): with James Dean and Rock Hudson.
4 a.m. – Ivanhoe (1952): with Robert Taylor and Joan Fontaine.