Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter

Happy Easter!

I was fortunate to celebrate Easter in the gorgeous new home of my glowing friend. I was given the official home tour, and then her happy toddler followed up with the important details, like where we could find the spider, sandbox, and sharps (cacti). They served this delectable ham.  Thankfully, there was plenty, because I helped myself three times.


I made a coconut cake to share (my first).  The recipe for this centerpiece cake comes from Sweets. I would recommend this book to anyone, even if they never planned to bake one gorgeous dessert from it, because the stories and photographs are fascinating, detailed, and stylish.  But, that would do a disservice to the generations of the people whose recipes have received enough care to be perfected.


This cake recipe was straight forward, so I had no trouble following it, and the details for tasks I'm newer at, such as 'beating egg whites until they form firm peaks', and cooking sugar 'until it reaches 242F' were clear.

Ta da!

I also brought veggies and this super easy 'Sour Cream & Onion' dip:

Caramelize 1 diced yellow onion.
(Brown in no more than 1/4 cup olive oil, enough to cover onions). 
When done cooking (about 15 minutes over low heat),
pour into sieve to reserve oil if desired, but do not use oil in the recipe.  
 Mix with a few splashes of soy sauce and/ or Worcester sauce and a heaping cup of sour cream or plain yogurt.  For company, I use sour cream. 
At home, I use yogurt.

And now, I think I must squelch the obscene intake of Peeps... until next year....

1 comment:

billypaintbrush said...

I was up seein' some peeps at dawn, too.
The cake looks great, hope it tasted as good as it looks