Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer crop


Sometimes when I am standing in line, or sitting in a waiting room with poor magazines, I will play the 'what will I serve?' game.  I imagine what I would serve at my own restaurant.  Currently, my make-believe menu would be:
~house made dill pickles & pickled carrots
~fried green tomatoes, sauteed spinach, and heirloom tomato salad for the table (I like family style)
~pork chops
~assorted hand pies
So good, right?
And that explains, I think, why I couldn't get 'fried green tomatoes' out of my head.  Or, maybe it was all the home cooking mentioned in 'The Help', which I recently read and loved.  The characters make delicious dishes, from pork chops to strawberry cake.

After several days spent pondering green, heirloom, and all things tomato, I remembered I had bookmarked this pin cushion project:  heirloom tomato pin cushion

They are a quick, easy project.  I had some strips of fabric already cut that were twice as long as they were wide, so I made the 'traditional' tomato first (the 'heirloom tomato' calls for a circle of fabric).  The only supplies you need are: a bit of fabric, stuffing, some felt, and regular thread + pearl cotton embroidery thread for finishing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a delightful project! And with the variety of tomatoes now, the sky is the limit for colors and patterns.