Thursday, February 02, 2012

cookies comme aux 'US'

Elle à Table published a recipe for cookies comme aux 'US', a straightforward recipe for chocolate chip cookies that I was trying to follow in French.  That they call it 'cookies comme aux US', is, of course, adorable.  But, chocolate chip cookies are one of our brightest dessert stars as a nation.  Anyone who doesn't find a comforting pleasure in a plate of chocolate chip cookies and a glass of *whatever kind of* milk should consider expatriating themselves.

The entire magazine was relatively simple for me to grasp (while not totally comprehending it), thanks to the bounty of food vocab words I remember learning in high school or just around town: 'légumes', 'sel', 'chocolat'.  

I understood most of an article by Clotilde Dusoulier, regarding how to blog, written in  contained, short paragraphs, and the photo filled nature of a food magazine made it clear what I was trying to match up with the written instruction (much easier than learning about existentialism through reading No Exit and Waiting for Godot in French! ayayay!) 

Some things still turn me around, like, it takes me a beat to unconfuse 'poivre' and 'poire' (pepper and pear).  Even after using the internet to figure out conversions (180C is precisely 356F in the 'à four'), there were still some things that I'd never learned.  For example, the recipe called for 1 cuillère à soupe of vanilla, and 1 cuillère à café of poudre a chimique... so, 1 soup spoon of vanilla, and 1 coffee  spoon of baking powder?  It sounds romantic, but I didn't want the cookies to turn out like when I got distracted halfway through baking and forgot the FLOUR.  *The conversion information on Chocolate and Zucchini is really useful*

Here is the recipe I ended up using.  The melted butter is key, and my friend Danica was just talking to me about what a chewy cookie this step can result in! She is right, as usual!

Cookies Comme Aux 'US':
~melt 14 tablespoons of butter (nearly 2 sticks) over medium low heat
~while that melts, mix 1 cup brown and 1 cup powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon vanilla
~combine sugar mixture with butter, then 2 eggs
~add 2 cups flour, 2 cups oatmeal, 1 tsp baking powder, and 2 cups of chocolate chips

Bake at 350, on parchment lined cookie sheets, for 10 minutes (check for a golden top and a slightly darker edge).  Remove from oven, let set on sheets for 1 minute, and then let cool on drying racks.





 * Sometimes, I find it difficult to resist buying mini chocolate chips.  But, these don't provide that optimum chocolate burst in a cookie.  The first batch did not have enough chips (look at that photo, you can TELL!), so I rolled the second in some more mini's.  *Regular chips work best!*

1 comment:

billypaintbrush said...

mmmmmm... oatmeal AND chocolate chips
i'll just imagine them and remind my tubby self to just say no

nice pictures and stories, though

ps mmmmm